Subscribe to LexTalk to stay on top of today’s legal issue and trends.
Catapult Your Career |
Industry Insights & Trends |
Product Training & Tips
The gift that keeps on giving ... knowledge.
And the best way to wrap it ... in a quote.
So this holiday season, I’m gifting legal quotes to my lawyer friends.
Cash? Not this year!
Call me a cheapskate, but a good quote is much more valuable than any $269 Apple Watch.
Your response: Try explaining that to my wife?
Well, consider Exhibit A: The movie Good Will Hunting. In it, Will, played by Matt Damon, has this exchange with Clark, the local-jerk:
Will: Do you like apples?
Will: Well, I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Classic! Granted, it’s not a legal quote, but it’s a punchy one-liner. And much, much clunkier if Will had said:
How do you like them Apple Watches?
So when you need to look smart – or when you need a sharp comeback – here’s 10 great legal quotes you can unwrap today (or you can forward them to your favorite attorney, wish him or her “Happy Holidays” and spend the savings on yourself).
10 Great Legal Quotes
1. "It is impossible for us to break the law. We can only break ourselves against the law." - Cecil B. DeMille
2. “Laws control the lesser man... Right conduct controls the greater one.” - Mark Twain
3. "Lawyers spend a great deal of their time shoveling smoke." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
4. “The language of law must not be foreign to the ears of those who are to obey it.” - Learned Hand
5. “The minute you read something that you can't understand, you can almost be sure that it was drawn up by a lawyer.” - Will Rogers
6. “What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean? " - Antonin Scalia
7. “The power of the lawyer is in the uncertainty of the law.” - Jeremy Bentham
8. “One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.” – Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
9. “If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.” - Louis D. Brandeis
10. “Today's Constitution is a realistic document of freedom only because of several corrective amendments.” - Thurgood Marshall