Subscribe to LexTalk to stay on top of today’s legal issue and trends.
Catapult Your Career |
Industry Insights & Trends |
Product Training & Tips
Have you ever created a checklist of items you want to have packed before you go on a trip? If you do, it may help you keep track of what all you have packed already and decide how ready you are to leave for the trip. Likewise it may be best to create a checklist to prepare you for the job search post-law school. According to the Huffington Post, here are five items you should have checked off your list that will help you land a job.
1. Practical Training, Specialized Skills It’s important to develop specialized skills and accumulate practical experience in order to have you more “practice ready” by the time you graduate.
Need a tip? Read more here – Effective Writing Skills Fundamental for Paralegals via The Legal Intelligencer #writinglegally
2. Advanced Competencies Beyond Lawyering
Given that the other applicants to the jobs you’re applying for share many of the same skills, you will need to have skills that make you stand out.
Need a tip? Read more here – Stand out to recruiters without saying a word
3. A Framework of the Changing Legal Landscape
It’s important to stay relevant. Have a framework of the past, present, and future of the profession.
Broadly: you need to understand the intersection of the legal profession and the field in which you plan to practice law.
Specifically: you need to figure out how you fit into a global, technology influenced career.
Need a tip? Read more here – 5 Tips For Aspiring Environmental Attorneys
4. A Focused Plan, and an Accompanying Strategy In order to position themselves better for job offers, students need to have a focused career plan and a strategy on how to do that put themselves in that position. Ask yourselves the following questions: What brought you to law school? What are your passions? What do you consider your strengths and weaknesses?
Need a tip? Read more here – Law Students - Your 5 Keys To Career Success [Infographic
5. A Strong, Connected Network It’s been said a million times, but because it’s the truth: When it comes to getting a job, it’s all about who you know and how connected you are.
Need a tip? Read more here – Sun, Sand, and… Networking? Five Tips for Legal Networking this Summer
Do you have different “must-have’s” on your list? Feel free to share any new ideas in the comment section below.
Feel free to share your thoughts by including your comment in the ‘Join the Conversation’ text box at the bottom of this string. Register to LexTalk and join the conversation.