Subscribe to LexTalk to stay on top of today’s legal issue and trends.
Catapult Your Career |
Industry Insights & Trends |
Product Training & Tips
(Please visit the site to view this video)
From Krusty the Clown to Milhouse to Flanders to the infamous accident-waiting-to-happen that is Homer, the Simpsons have introduced us to some memorable characters throughout the years. As you read this now the Simpsons stands as the longest-running American animated series ever at 26 years old (and counting). Since the series debuted Dec. 17, 1989, we’ve experienced plenty of “Treehouse of Horrors,” “D’OHS!” and other Simpson shenanigans, but what have we seen happen outside the tube since their debut?
Let’s take a look outside the tube and into the outside world.
1. The Simpsons debuts on FOX – December 17, 1989
2. Operation Just Cause is launched in an attempt to overthrow Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega. – December 20, 1989
3. Hubble Space Telescope launched (1990)
4. Cold War vs USSR Ends (1991)
5. President Clinton signs 'Don't ask, don't tell' into law which prohibits openly gay or bisexual people from serving in the military (1993)
6. North American Free Trade Agreement goes into effect (1994)
7. Oklahoma City bombing kills 168 and wounds 800. The bombing is the worst domestic terrorist incident in U.S. history, and the investigation resulted in the arrests of Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols (1995)
8. Retired football star O. J. Simpson is acquitted of two charges of first-degree murder (1995)
9. September 11th terrorist attacks; 19 terrorists hijack four planes and crash them into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania killing nearly 3,000 people and injuring over 6,000. (2001)
10. Department of Homeland Security is created (2002)
11. The United States withdraws from Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty. (2002)
12. Saddam Hussein is captured by U.S. special forces (2003)
13. Homer’s catchphrase “D’OH!” was added to the Oxford Dictionary in June 14,2015
14. Facebook is launched (2004)
15. Massachusetts becomes the first state to legalize same-sex marriage, this in compliance with a ruling from the state's Supreme Court ruling in Goodridge v. Department of Public Health (2004)
16. Hurricane Katrina devastates the Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama coastlines killing at least 1,836 people and causing $81 billion in damage, making it the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history. (2005)
17. Nancy Pelosi becomes 1st female Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives (2007)
18. Stock Market crashes (2008)
19. Barack Obama becomes 1st African-American President of the United States (44th overall) (2008)
20. “King of Pop” Michael Jackson dies (2009)
21. The first of a series of Tea Party protests are conducted across the United States, focusing on smaller government, fiscal responsibility, individual freedoms and conservative views of the Constitution. (2009)
22. The Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico explodes, spilling millions of gallons of oil into the sea. The spill becomes the worst oil spill in American history (2010)
23.Osama Bin Laden, mastermind of Sept. 11th attacks killed (2011)
24. U.S.’s 30-year shuttle program ends with landing of Atlantis at the Shuttle Landing Facility at Kennedy Space Center. (2011)
25. Supreme Court strikes down the Defense of Marriage Act, which banned the federal recognition of same-sex marriages and refused to recognize the legal standing of proponents of Proposition 8, which resulted in the re-legalization of same-sex marriage in California. (2013)
26. Same sex marriage is legalized in all 50 US states. (2015)
Events thanks to Wikipedia’s Timelines.
None of us are aware of any set date for The Simpsons’ final bow and likewise we have no idea what the future holds in store for us. Maybe- just maybe- we’ll be sitting here 24 years from now comparing what has happened in the 50 years since its’ debut in 1989.