What technology do you consider essential to doing your job?

Posted on 02-02-2015 by
Tags: new rules , social business , technology , Latest Headlines & Stories

Technology is everywhere and enhancements have occurred at an unprecedented rate, changing the world in ways never before seen.

Considering the nature of legal services, it’s no surprise that running a law firm with technology often entails virtual resources that increase the delivery / receive rate in which communication and information technology happens. While many have done their best to keep pace with the rapid changes by learning about and implementing new technologies into their practices; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

What are the most valuable pieces of technology you use in your profession on a day-to-day basis including software, app's and any mobile devices?

Feel free to share your thoughts by including your comment in the ‘Join the Conversation’ text box at the bottom of this string. Register to LexTalk and join the conversation.

Comments

jtomevi
jtomevi
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:35 PM

Outlook is actually my main resource. Our firm's files are all interfaced through Outlook and I use my inbox as a "to-do" list. Although Outlook is not new and exciting, it certainly is the most valuable technology I use.

jillrcli
jillrcli
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:37 PM

Therefore for matter management.

andrewlemar
andrewlemar
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:38 PM

I don't use any legal apps, but I think just being able to check my work email on my phone is valuable.  I realize nearly constant availability can be a blessing and a curse, but it is an easy way for me to delete unnecessary emails when I'm away from the office (so my inbox isn't cluttered when I get back) and to respond quickly when there is that rare instance when there is an after-hours emergency.

jshampan
jshampan
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:38 PM

I suppose that the most valuable technology is legal search databases (Westlaw and Lexis).  For everything else, we're terribly behind the times.

elephants21
elephants21
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:41 PM

we recently went with a cloud based platform for our cases and it is invaluable in its ability to provide immediate details from any mobile device including phones.  I find it very useful.

MVIsola
MVIsola
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:42 PM

I am pretty simple:  just a computer and a smartphone (primarily to receive emails).  I don't use a laptop or an iPad.  No specific app is a requirement.  In this day and age, this might be politically incorrect, but with key documents, I still prefer to read them as paper documents.

shoe33
shoe33
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:42 PM

Like the others, my firm really only uses Outlook and Lexis. Some of the individual attorneys use other products, but we do not, as of yet, do so as a firm

jdicker
jdicker
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:43 PM

Outlook, Word, and Chrome/Internet Explorer.  Microsoft products are rather essential.

lscott148
lscott148
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:43 PM

Big Hand digital dictation system. You can dictate a document, or even instructions and the software transforms it into text and the dictation is put into a central system to be finalized by support staff. You can pick up capacity from staff in other offices or those with attorneys out of the office.

eveross
eveross
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:44 PM

Unfortunately, not everyone's technology improves at the same rate. As much as I would like to jump into the 21st century with both feet, fax functionality is sadly still essential to doing my job. It's the fastest, cheapest way to get documents to and from people who haven't yet invested in scanners (I *know*).

ifeld1984
ifeld1984
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:47 PM

MS Office suite of products.  Plus Lexis Advance and other online research tools.  Also, we use Worksite for document management.

LMK
LMK
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:47 PM

Westlaw is my main resource for cases, statutes etc.  They seem to be on top of changes and the tweeks to their product have been good ones.  Various attorney websites and other industry related sites/blogs are extremely helpful in keeping up-to-date.

emlex
emlex
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:48 PM

I use outlook to prioritize my tasks (memo to those who are tempted to just walk into my office and ask me to do something: this screws up my priority labeling system.)  I also use Westlaw (prefer Classic, but that will be pried out of my hands soon.)  I need wifi in the office and at home to make it easy to check e-mails on my ipod.  We also use Edocs and intranet.

twj410
twj410
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:53 PM

A smartphone. Email access, client contacts, portable, integrated calendar, GPS, legal search tools, all in one place. Outlook is great, but my iPhone is way more valuable.

lprizant
lprizant
Posted on : 3 Feb 2015 4:56 PM

I cannot name just one.  My smart phone is indispensable.  But, it is a tie with legal research databases (i.e., Lexis).

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close